Veggie Noodle Soup
My take on a classic Japanese dish, a warm bowl of goodness that doesn't cost a fortune
After spending a lovely amount of time in Japan, I got to taste the worlds best Ramen. Japanese cooking is truly delicious, using fantastic ingredients and fresh produce. Some of these lovely ingredients you can get in the UK and unfortunately right now, there is some that we can't.
So I thought I would create a healthy version that is plant based, where all the ingredients are easy to get in the supermarkets. So here it is, a warm bowl of goodness paying homage to my Japanese adventures.
How to make Veggie Noodle Soup...
Serves 5 Preparation: 15 minutes Cooking: 15 minutes
225g of Noodles (i used rice noodles as that's what was available)
5 florets of broccoli
10 green beans
2 large mushrooms
140g of tofu
Handful of assorted cabbage (optional)
Handful of sweetcorn
100g of miso paste
1 veggie stock cube
1.5L of water
5 tbsp of soy sauce
1 tbsp of chili powder
1 tbsp of paprika
1 tbsp of onion powder
1 tbsp of garlic
2 tbsp of sesame oil
1. Prepare your veggies, chop up your mushrooms into slices, top and tail the green beans and cut them in half, chop the carrot into sticks, cube the tofu and cut your brocolli into smaller pieces.
2. Start by placing a 1tbsp of sesame oil in a pan, heating up the pan over a medium heat. Add all your miso paste to the pan, warm up the miso paste to bring out the flavour. Once you can smell the miso paste, its time to add your water in. Mix together and bring to the boil.
3. Once your miso has boiled, add in the garlic powder, onion powder, chilli powder, paprika, soy sauce, veggie stock cube, the rest of your sesame oil and salt and pepper. Mix this through then turn your broth down to a low heat and add in your mushrooms. Cook on a low heat for a further 10 minutes.
4. While your broth simmers away, check the package recommendations for your noodles. Add them to your broth and allow them to cook for the recommended time
5. It's time now to prepare your vegetables and tofu. In a frying pan, add a tbsp of olive oil and warm the pan over a medium heat. Add in your tofu and cook until golden. Set the tofu aside in a dish.
6. Next add in the carrot, beans, broccoli and assorted greens, fry them until they are soft. You can add a tbsp of soy sauce here if you wish to give your veggies an extra bit of flavor.
7. Now its time to plate up your noodle soup. First add your both into your bowl with your mushrooms and noodles, then begin adding your toppings. I added a little sweetcorn, then my crispy tofu and finally my veggies. Finish off with a drizzle of sesame oil.
There you have it, a simple noodle soup in just 30 minutes. Really hope you like this one, its a little way for me to connect with the wonderful food from Japan just with a twist, using lots of lovely ingredients that are availble in the supermarkets.
Hope you like it, lots of love, G x